SubjectRe: syslog full of kernel BUGS, frequent intermittent instability
On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 02:55:58PM +0000, John Bradford wrote:
> /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults, noatime 1 1
^

No space. At times Unix is just as fussy as IBM JCL :)
Agreed on the value of `noatime`. It made a huge difference
in responsiveness on an old 486sx25 laptop.

> I seriously doubt that a single RAM module should be installed in the
> middle slot of three. One of the end slotf would seem more likely.

Agreed. But on some mobos, it doesn't matter. Then I prefer the
furthest slot from the RAM controller. Sure, signal time-of-flight
is a few ps longer, but at least the bus is terminated and will
have fewer reflections.

> It might have been disconnecting and reconnecting the RAM that
> improved things, not the change of slot. Try both end slots.

Yes. Reseating will creat new electrical connections.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://users.ev1.net/~redelm

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.061 / U:0.600 seconds]