SubjectRe: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call
Am Sam, 2003-03-01 um 02.27 schrieb David Lang:

> this implies that when the new chip is released it may be up to 2.5GHz
> instead of the 1.8GHz previously listed.

> Ok, this means that a year or so from now when the chip is released it
> will have clock speeds in the range of todays x86 chips. this is at least
> in the ballpark to remain competitive.

From a pure clock point of view. For some reallife performance rather look
at the SPEC numbers. Actually I don't care about the clocking of a processor
especially when vendors are pushing it with longer pipelines as this is
all marketing crap (and let's see what problems Intel will face with the
Centrino architecture to tell that lower clocks might bring higher performance
with a different design).

BTW: Distributed.net client has now an AltiVec implementation which makes an
G4/500 eat an Athlon/1.8GHz for breakfast...

--
Servus,
Daniel

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.070 / U:2.652 seconds]