SubjectRe: Monta Vista software license terms
On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:02:38PM -0500, Nilmoni Deb wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2003, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 11:58, Nilmoni Deb wrote:
> > > Note that your obligation is strictly to the recipients of binaries
> > > (i.e., your customers). You have no responsibility to the "community" at
> > > large."
> >
> > This is correct. Its actually very important. A lot of GPL software is
> > created by a small company for another. It would be completely unfair
> > for that small company to be expected to ship stuff to everyone. Their
> > customer may choose to but then they must distribute sources and so in
> > turn.
>
> While one issue stands resolved (that a vendor complying with clause 3a of
> GPL 2.0 does not have to comply with 3b), the GPL may have been
> misprepresented by MontaVista, as per the opinion of a FSF member (Dave
> Turner via RT <license-violation@fsf.org>):
>
> -------- EXCERPT STARTS ---------
>
> > Note that your obligation is strictly to the recipients of binaries
> > (i.e., your customers). You have no responsibility to the "community" at
> > large."
> >

> > Its the last sentence that is of concern. Does this mean no 3rd
> > party (who is not a customer) can get the GPL source code part of their
> > products ?
>
> Actually, they're wrong -- if they choose (3)(b), their offer must be
> open to all third parties. And they're wrong about who their
> "obligation" is to -- legally speaking, their license comes from the
> copyright holder.
>
> -------- EXCERPT ENDS ---------
>
> > Montavista feed a fair bit of stuff back into the kernel, especially at
> > the mips end of the universe.

We don't deal with 3(b), actually. All our binary distributions
include source, a la 3(a).

It's generally considered polite to discuss your concerns with whoever
you're concerned with, instead of attempting to report them and rouse
public reaction, you know.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer