SubjectRe: Monta Vista software license terms
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:57:49PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > I find it quite saddening that a lot of people only care about making up shit
> > while the company in question is devoting a lot of money in salary to hire
> > kernel developers full time whose work has always been merged to community
> > trees so far.
>
> Blah. Why can't mvista put up the source to their products on some ftp
> server like suse/redhat/caldera/mandrake/etc?? That's the whole point of
> this discussion.

Maybe because MV is trying to avoid the financial difficulties many of the
companies quoted above have?

> mvista doesn't do anything illegal, but they certainly don't play nice.

MontaVista contribute 98% of their modifications to GPL projects back into
their respective public repositories. That's all a hacker like you should
care about. For the rest of the people in the embedded world that don't
want to gather a distribution by themselves tailored to their commercial
product then that work comes with a price.

Nicolas

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans