SubjectRe: Document describes how to install and use
Thank you for your interest in Debian GNU/Linux!

Due to the fact that we receive a lot of similar requests, we were
forced to set up an automatic reply mechanism to reduce our workload
and to actually be able to answer real requests again. It would
simply cost us too much time to answer each mail manually - and this
would keep us from important tasks. This means that we won't reply to
each mail manually but believe in the autoreply answering it properly.
We will, however, take a short glance at every mail and will answer as
soon as possible if we recognize unanswered questions.

If you feel that the automatic reply does not answer all of your
questions properly and you haven't received a manual reply from us
WITHIN FOUR WORKDAYS, you may request manual attention. Be warned,
requesting manual attention too early may decrease the priority of your
mail automatically. If you are requesting manual attention, remove
all questions that were answered by this auto-reply and add "Manual
attention requested" to the top of your letter.

Please do not send such a mail right after you have received this
automatic reply. Think about why you have received it and if it
answers your questions already. If you send such a mail right after
you sent the original mail, chances are good to get ignored.

Please use English language in your mail. Other languages will result
in confusion and delays since we would have to seek for translators
first.

The Debian Project

The Debian Project is a worldwide association that produces Debian,
the free operating system (OS) for your computer. Debian is kernel
independent. It currently uses the Linux kernel but work is in
progress to provide Debian for other kernels, using the Hurd and
BSD. A detailed explanation is found on <http://www.debian.org/>.

The new Release

The current stable release of Debian GNU/Linux is version 3.0. It
was released in July 2002. Since beginning of 2002 development
has been going on on the next version of the entire distribution,
codenamed `sarge', which will be released as Debian 3.1.

Requests for freebies

The Debian Project is not a company nor does it produce any CD sets
or hardware. Contrary to that we produce a software distribution.
We also help people distributing Debian GNU/Linux by providing
properly created CD images at <http://www.debian.org/CD/>.

As a result of this, we are unable to provide you with freebies for
shows or free CD boxes for reviewing. Please check out the vendors
page at <http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors> and ask a vendor
that is near to you. There are good chances they can help. You're
also invited to fetch the CD images and start your own burn cycle.

What we can do is provide you with links to public stuff other than
the best and most free distribution Debian GNU/Linux:

<http://www.debian.org/logos/>
<http://www.debian.org/banners/>
<http://www.debian.org/misc/>
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~rgmerk/prespage.html>
<http://www.debian.org/events/material>
<http://www.infodrom.north.de/Debian/demo/>

Questions regarding packages or the distribution as a whole

We receive a whole bunch of general questions with regard to the
distribution. Most of them are answered on the projects homepage at
<http://www.debian.org/>. Please check out if your questions are
answered there before contacting us again.

More information:

Packages at <http://packages.debian.org/>

Individual packages at http://packages.debian.org/<name>

Bugs in a given package at http://bugs.debian.org/<name>

News Articles and Press Releases

Press releases and news articles are sent to the following lists:

debian-announce@lists.debian.org
debian-news@lists.debian.org
debian-devel-announce@lists.debian.org

These and other Debian mailing lists are archived at
<http://lists.debian.org/> with a delay of less than one day.

To receive these articles please subscribe yourself to the list
which content you want to read. You'll find information about
subscription to our lists at <http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/>

Recent news articles are collected at <http://www.debian.org/News/>

Press coverage is archived at <http://www.debian.org/News/press/>

Thank you for you attention,

The Debian Press Team
press@debian.org

$Id: autoreply-press,v 1.7 2003/01/08 20:13:27 joey Exp $

--
Debian GNU/Linux The Universal Operating System