    SubjectRe: Compactflash cards dying?
    [snip discussion about Compact Flash cards]

    On a somewhat-related subject, is there currently an easy way to use a
    PROM as a read-only filesystem?

    I.E. I'd like to write a raw filesystem image to an PROM using a PROM
    burner then connect that, probably to the parallel port, and use it as
    a block device.

    It should be fairly simple to build the parallel port -> PROM adaptor,
    as it would essentially just be a ZIF socket, and a whole load of
    latches to multiplex the limited number of I/O lines to the 32 or so
    needed for address and data, and the driver should be straightforward
    to write as well.

    Or is there a reason why this hasn't been done? PROMs are much
    cheaper than Compact Flash...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.019 / U:1.172 seconds]