SubjectRe: Patch: 2.5.62 devfs shrink
Adam J. Richter wrote:

> Tangential note:
>
> For what it's worth, my preference would be to change from
> /dev/discs/disc0/part1 to /dev/disk/0/part1, but I think it would

Yes, that is nice and short. There is no need for the disc0 part,
we know it is a disk because it is in /dev/disk.

> probably do more harm than good to try to coordinate such a change
> with switching devfs. If you want to try to make a change where

Well, I wouldn't mind a disc->disk transition. It seems to mee there
aren't that many devfs users yet so I don't think it'll be that much of
a problem.

> people will eventually have to update their systems, I think it would
> probably make more sense to survey existing devfs naming practices and
> try to come up with some recommendations harmonize them a bit. For
> example, should the directory names be singular or plural (/dev/loop
> or /dev/loops, /dev/disk or /dev/disks)? I would recommend signular
> because it is less English-centric.

Singular is nice, because we think about /dev/disk/4 (one
particular disk) a lot more than we think about "the collection
/dev/disks"

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.032 / U:0.124 seconds]