    SubjectRe: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
    Kasper Dupont <> writes:
    > > > But AFAIK fsck uses mtab.
    > >
    > > It uses /etc/fstab.
    > [kasperd:pts/0:~] grep /etc/mtab /sbin/fsck*
    > Binary file /sbin/fsck.ext2 matches
    > Binary file /sbin/fsck.ext3 matches
    > Binary file /sbin/fsck.minix matches
    > [kasperd:pts/0:~]

    God know why; the versions (e2fsprogs 1.32) on my system don't, so it's
    probably not something very important. fsck should still work fine.

    > > Unless you use the `-n' flag, which an init-script should do if it
    > > knows there's something wierd required to get /var mounted or something.
    > Of course the -n flag can be used to some extent, but that doesn't
    > solve all our problems. Current rc.sysinit implementations does use
    > -n to mount a few filesystems, and later uses -f to initialize the
    > mtab. But all that happens before running fsck, so if /var is mounted
    > that early, we are going to fsck it mounted.

    So the init scripts are badly written, what can I say? `Don't do that.'

    "Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
    where four map sheets join." -- Anon. British Officer in WW I

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.038 / U:31.532 seconds]