    SubjectRe: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
    Kasper Dupont <kasperd@daimi.au.dk> writes:
    > > Yes. On some systems, /var and /tmp are the _only_ read-write filesystems.
    >
    > OK, but then on such a system with my approach it would be possible to
    > make /mtab.d a symlink pointing to somewhere under /var.

    ... you could do the same with /etc/mtab.

    In fact since /etc is almost guaranteed to be on the same filesystem as
    /, it seems like "/mtab.d" offers zero advantages over just /etc/mtab --
    the case where /etc/mtab is the most annoying is when /etc is R/O, but
    this almost always means that / will be R/O, making /mtab.d useless too.

    > But AFAIK fsck uses mtab.

    It uses /etc/fstab.

    > If mtab does not exist mount will attempt to create a new one with
    > only the root listed.

    Unless you use the `-n' flag, which an init-script should do if it
    knows there's something wierd required to get /var mounted or something.

    -Miles
    --
    80% of success is just showing up. --Woody Allen