    SubjectRe: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
    Olaf Dietsche <> writes:

    > >> I thought, this is what /var is for. So, /var/run, /var/lib/misc or
    > >> /var/etc might be more appropriate?
    > >
    > > What if /var is mounted separately?
    > I didn't think of this, even though I have it separately on my
    > machine.
    > >> OTOH, "ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab" works just fine here.
    > >
    > > The only problem I have with that is that option 'user' is lost. This
    > > means that any user can mount /cdrom, but only root can unmount it.
    > The 'user' option is in /etc/fstab, so this is not a problem. I can
    > mount _and_ umount /cdrom as a simple user.

    It's strange if you can. My mount (fairly recent) looks in fstab to
    determine whether a user should be allowed to mount a device.
    However, when unmounting it checks /etc/mtab to make sure it was you
    who mounted it in the first place, making it impossible to unmount
    someone else's cdrom. If you use the 'users' (note the 's') option
    instead any user can mount or unmount the device at any time, mtab
    being ignored.

    Måns Rullgård

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.039 / U:17.448 seconds]