Subjectoom killer and its superior braindamage in 2.4

Marc, Rik,

> - Feb 21 10:04:57 codeman kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2657
> (apache).
>
> The above log entry (apache) appeared for about 4 hours every some
> seconds (same PID) until I thought about sysrq-b to get out of this
> braindead behaviour. The machine was somewhat dead for me because I was
> not able to do anything but sysrq. The system itself was _not_ dead,
> there was massive disk i/o. This is 2.4.20 vanilla.

This exact thing happened to me as well, on a 2.4.20-pre that hasn't been
upgraded to 2.4.20 yet. The thing that concerns me most is:

Why won't the system kill the process it claims to be killing?

If, in Marc's case, the system wants to kill PID 2657, a lowly sleeping
apache process, why can't it? This is a bug for sure.

For me, there was some python process chosen as the one for killing and it
repeated the 'Out of Memory: Killed process xxxxx (python)' for hours
while making no progress. The machine was still routing packets but I
couldn't log in. Sys-rq was disabled, so I was forced to use the big red
button.

Rik, any ideas?

David

--