SubjectRe: oom killer and its superior braindamage in 2.4
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:

> > Does the below patch fix your problem ?

> With your patch, mystress.pl was marked to get killed, every PID only
> once, no apache or similar (good). ... But the strange thing is, that it
> seems none of the processes, which are marked to be killed, get killed.
> So sysrq-t tells me.

It'd be interesting to know where these processes are spending
their CPU time and why they're not catching their signals.

> Sysrq-i gave me the chance to get out of the OOM killing process and
> only kernel threads were left + getty's so I was able to log in again.

Strange, so sysrq-i manages to kill the processes, but the OOM
killer doesn't kill the processes ?

This is very suspect because the OOM killer uses force_sig in
the same way the sysrq-i handler does...

regards,

Rik
--
Engineers don't grow up, they grow sideways.
http://www.surriel.com/ http://kernelnewbies.org/