    SubjectRe: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call

    Linus> Last I saw P4 was kicking ia-64 butt on specint and friends.
    >> I don't think so. According to Intel [1], the highest
    >> clockfrequency for a 0.18um part is 2GHz (both for Xeon and P4,
    >> for Xeon MP it's 1.5GHz). The highest reported SPECint for a
    >> 2GHz Xeon seems to be 701 [2]. In comparison, a 1GHz McKinley
    >> gets a SPECint of 810 [3].

    Martin> Got anything more real-world than SPECint type
    Martin> microbenchmarks?

    SPECint a microbenchmark? You seem to be redefining the meaning of
    the word (last time I checked, lmbench was a microbenchmark).

    Ironically, Itanium 2 seems to do even better in the "real world" than
    suggested by benchmarks, partly because of the large caches, memory
    bandwidth and, I'm guessing, partly because of it's straight-forward
    micro-architecture (e.g., a synchronization operation takes on the
    order of 10 cycles, as compared to order of dozens and hundres of
    cycles on the Pentium 4).

    BTW: I hope I don't sound too negative on the Pentium 4/Xeon. It's
    certainly an excellent performer for many things. I just want to
    point out that Itanium 2 also is a good performer, probably more so
    than many on this list seem to be willing to give it credit for.

    --david

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:4.022 / U:0.016 seconds]