    SubjectRe: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call

    On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, David Mosberger wrote:

    > But does x86 reall work so well? Itanium 2 on 0.13um performs a lot
    > better than P4 on 0.13um.

    On WHAT benchmark?

    Itanium 2 doesn't hold a candle to a P4 on any real-world benchmarks.

    As far as I know, the _only_ things Itanium 2 does better on is (a) FP
    kernels, partly due to a huge cache and (b) big databases, entirely
    because the P4 is crippled with lots of memory because Intel refuses to do
    a 64-bit version (because they know it would totally kill ia-64).

    Last I saw P4 was kicking ia-64 butt on specint and friends.

    That's also ignoring the fact that ia-64 simply CANNOT DO the things a P4
    does every single day. You can't put an ia-64 in a reasonable desktop
    machine, partly because of pricing, but partly because it would just suck
    so horribly at things people expect not to suck (games spring to mind).

    And I further bet that using a native distribution (ie totally ignoring
    the power and price and bad x86 performance issues), ia-64 will work a lot
    worse for people simply because the binaries are bigger. That was quite
    painful on alpha, and ia-64 is even worse - to offset the bigger binaries,
    you need a faster disk subsystem etc just to not feel slower than a
    bog-standard PC.

    Code size matters. Price matters. Real world matters. And ia-64 at least
    so far falls flat on its face on ALL of these.

    > As far as I can guess, the only reason P4
    > comes out on 0.13um (and 0.09um) before anything else is due to the
    > latter part you mention: it's where the volume is today.

    It's where all the money is ("ia-64: 5 billion dollars in the red and
    still sinking") so of _course_ it's where the efforts get put.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:4.677 / U:0.008 seconds]