SubjectRe: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call
Date
> OK, I predict that Linux will take over the whole of the high end server
> market ... if people stop complaining about us fixing scalability. That
> should give some nicer numbers ....

Extending the useful life of current hardware will shift profit even
further towards support contracts, and away from hardware sales.

Imagine the performance gain a webserver serving mostly static
content, with light database and scripting usage is going to see
moving from a 2.4 -> 2.6 kernel? Zero copy and filesystem
improvements alone will extend it's useful life dramatically, in my
opinion.

John.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:1.891 / U:0.348 seconds]