    SubjectRe: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call
    >> Interesting. Given the profit margins involved, I bet they still
    >> make more money on servers than desktops and notebooks combined
    >> (the annual report doesn't seem to list that). And that's before
    >> you take account of the "linux weighting" on top of that ...
    >
    > Err, here's a news flash. Dell has just one server with more than
    > 4 CPUS and it tops out at 8. Everything else is clusters. And they
    > call any machine that doesn't have a head a server, they have servers
    > starting $299. Yeah, that's right, $299.
    >
    > http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/series_pedge_servers.htm
    >
    > How much do you want to bet that more than 95% of their server revenue
    > comes from 4CPU or less boxes? I wouldn't be surprised if it is more
    > like 99.5%. And you can configure yourself a pretty nice quad xeon box
    > for $25K. Yeah, there is some profit in there but nowhere near the huge
    > margins you are counting on to make your case.

    OK, so now you've slid from talking about PCs to 2-way to 4-way ...
    perhaps because your original arguement was fatally flawed.

    The work we're doing on scalablity has big impacts on 4-way systems
    as well as the high end. We're also simultaneously dramatically improving
    stability for smaller SMP machines by finding reproducing races in
    5 minutes that smaller machines might hit once every year or so, and
    running high-stress workloads that thrash the hell out of various
    subsystems exposing bugs.

    Some applications work well on clusters, which will give them cheaper
    hardware, at the expense of a lot more complexity in userspace ...
    depending on the scale of the system, that's a tradeoff that might go
    either way.

    For applications that don't work well on clusters, you have no real
    choice but to go with the high-end systems. I'd like to see Linux
    across the board, as would many others.

    You don't believe we can make it scale without screwing up the low end,
    I do believe we can do that. Time will tell ... Linus et al are not
    stupid ... we're not going to be able to submit stuff that screwed up
    the low-end, even if we wanted to.

    M.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.021 / U:1.024 seconds]