lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2003]   [Feb]   [21]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
From
SubjectRe: RFC3168, section 6.1.1.1 - ECN and retransmit of SYN
Date

>
> As far as I can see, though, implementing this gains less than we
> stand to loose.
>
> What if the first SYN packet, or the response to it is lost, (which is
> more possible on congested links, which is when ECN would be most
> useful), and we disable ECN - then we loose out on functionality we
> could have, and the work around is actually detremental to
> performance. Once 99% of internet hosts support ECN, we could be
> loosing more than we gain.
>
> If a site is unreachable, ECN can be disabled, and the RFC violating
> equipment is easily identified. Automatically disabling ECN just
> hides the problem from the user, who might then not be benefiting from
> ECN, and will quite possibly accept the degraded performance as
> normal.
>
> John.
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

I think they may have been talking about disabling ECN capabilities for the packets which never got responded to, what is the loss if 1% of your overall traffic has to be re-transmitted to work but the other 99% just works and you never have to turn ECN off with the sysctl at all? I think they might have been going for something like this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102926352817528&w=2 which was brought on by this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102919814321938&w=2

Jordan
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.031 / U:1.228 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site