    SubjectRe: Performance of partial object-based rmap
    On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > I think the guiding principle here is that we should not optimise for the
    > uncommon case (as rmap is doing), and we should not allow the uncommon case
    > to be utterly terrible (as Dave's patch can do).

    This "guiding principle" appears to be the primary reason why
    we've taken over a year to stabilise linux 2.0 and linux 2.2
    and linux 2.4 ... or at least, too much of a focus on the first
    half of this guiding principle. ;)

    We absolutely have to take care in avoiding the worst case
    scenarios, since statistics pretty much guarantee that somebody
    will run into nothing but that scenario ...

    cheers,

    Rik
    --
    Engineers don't grow up, they grow sideways.
    http://www.surriel.com/ http://kernelnewbies.org/