SubjectRe: Performance of partial object-based rmap
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I think the guiding principle here is that we should not optimise for the
> uncommon case (as rmap is doing), and we should not allow the uncommon case
> to be utterly terrible (as Dave's patch can do).

This "guiding principle" appears to be the primary reason why
we've taken over a year to stabilise linux 2.0 and linux 2.2
and linux 2.4 ... or at least, too much of a focus on the first
half of this guiding principle. ;)

We absolutely have to take care in avoiding the worst case
scenarios, since statistics pretty much guarantee that somebody
will run into nothing but that scenario ...

cheers,

Rik
--
Engineers don't grow up, they grow sideways.
http://www.surriel.com/ http://kernelnewbies.org/