SubjectRe: Performance of partial object-based rmap
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I think the guiding principle here is that we should not optimise for the
> uncommon case (as rmap is doing), and we should not allow the uncommon case
> to be utterly terrible (as Dave's patch can do).

This "guiding principle" appears to be the primary reason why
we've taken over a year to stabilise linux 2.0 and linux 2.2
and linux 2.4 ... or at least, too much of a focus on the first
half of this guiding principle. ;)

We absolutely have to take care in avoiding the worst case
scenarios, since statistics pretty much guarantee that somebody
will run into nothing but that scenario ...

Engineers don't grow up, they grow sideways.