SubjectModules Debate
Date
Fellow kernel hackers,

I think that we have missed the point that Rusty has been trying to make.
The existing modutils have to support multiple interfaces and as he has said
in the past, some of those interfaces are difficult, if not impossible to
use as the authors intended. He is trying to get all coders on the same page
with his new module interface, and it is normal that some are upset with his
decision to change things. But Linus seems to understand where Rusty is
trying to take the development effort and has chosen to go with Rusty's
ideas. Those that don't want to change are free, as always, to make their
code available to those that wish to use it. Rusty, correct me if I'm wrong,
but wasn't the gist of what you said at the Kernel Summit last summer that
we should build in as much as we knew we needed to support our hardware and
use modules for stuff we weren't going to use as often?

Matthew D. Pitts

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.222 / U:0.232 seconds]