SubjectRe: Fixes to suspend-to-RAM
Hi!

> > > If you say you're disabling S3, then please really do so and flip the bit
> > > in the sleep_states[] array.
> >
> > Check the code, there's a conditional former in the file and S3 will
> > correctly fail. I don't feel like flipping bits from here
> > (arch-dep-code) in generic code.
>
> Fine. But, how about a call that the drivers/acpi/sleep/main.c::sleep_init()
> can call to arch/i386/kernel/acpi/ to validate that it can do S3 from the
> beginning. That way, we're more certain of whether or not we're going to
> succeed or not.

Bootmem needs to be reserved pretty soon in the boot process, that
might be a problem.

> Doing this can also get rid of this crap, too:
>
> int acpi_save_state_mem (void)
> {
> #if CONFIG_X86_PAE
> panic("S3 and PAE do not like each other for now.");
> return 1;
> #endif
>
> > Good idea. So acpi_system_save_state can no longer be called with S5,
> > right? That allows quite a lot of cleanup.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Hmm, how do you propose error handling when SUSPEND_DISABLE fails?
> > Call SUSPEND_ENABLE or not? Once that is decided panic can go. But I
> > still think that just should not happen.
>
> I propose that we don't even call SUSPEND_DISABLE. Based on recent
> conversations, it appears that we can and should do the entire device
> suspend sequence in two passes - SUSPEND_SAVE_STATE with interrupts
> enabled, and SUSPEND_POWER_DOWN with interrupts disabled.

Yes, that crossed my mind, too. That's probably best.

Based on recent talk... Will you act as S3 maintainer so that I can
submit patches to you and you'll take care of forwarding to Linus?

Pavel
--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.