    SubjectRe: Synchronous signal delivery..
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Matti Aarnio wrote:
    >
    >>Do we need new syscall(s) ? Could it all be done with netlink ?
    >

    > We'd need the same new system call - the one to associate signals of this
    > process with the netlink thing.
    >
    > (Yeah, the "system call" could be an ioctl entry, but quite frankly,
    > that's much WORSE than adding a system call. It's just system calls
    > without type checking).

    I have been lobbying for sys_garzik(2) for years... while you're in
    there adding stuff, can you slip that in too please?

    ... :)

    More seriously, and a bit of a tangent, I wonder how much attention we
    need to give netlink. Because it either has the potential to be used as
    a de facto in-kernel event-passing API, or it's too heavyweight for
    that, implying [IMO] we need a netlink-lite.

    I _don't_ want to see mini-netlinks springing up every time we need
    [a]sync <foo> delivery inside the kernel.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.019 / U:90.260 seconds]