    SubjectRe: support for dual independent keyboards in devel kernel?

    > I have been doing some research on running 2 independent displays off of 1
    > machine (ie 2 keyboards, 2 mice, 2 vid cards, 2 monitors).. there are some
    > hacks out there now that "sort of" work.... but nothing stable and official..
    > it's all hacks.... I have read that support for this is planned for
    > 2.5/2.6, and would like to know what progress has been done. I am willing to
    > help where I can. I am a good C/C++ programmer, but have not done any kernel
    > work so far.

    You are talking about the linuxconsole project. Yes with alot of work
    we got a multi-desktop system working. We even got several X servers with
    several patches running on different desktops even tho they where working
    out of one box. The main problem with this research was the console system
    level of code was intertwine in each input and display driver. In 2.5.X
    you see the moving of the console keyboards etc to the input api which can
    function indepenedent of the console layer. You also had the same effect
    with the new framebuffer layer. This was done to make driver writing easy
    and to help the embedded space as well as prepare for the future
    multi-desktop of linux.
    What has not been done is true multi-desktop support. I like to work on
    this in the future but due to recent events in my life I have to abandon
    such research :-(

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.019 / U:12.564 seconds]