SubjectRe: allocate more than 2 GB on IA32
> I tought it should be possible to allocate up to 2.9 GB of memory to a
> process, with this kernel settings.
Obviously, No.
Unfortunatly kernel do not use segments (fully). So even you have HIMEM at the kernel it's not possible to user program to address more than 4 gb a ram at the same time. And as far as i know program can not have more than 1 gm of usable readwrite memory.

THe only way for u is to use 64 bit architecture... or remap default address range splitting increase address range for pgrogram data (it's require to recompile all programs).

Agri