SubjectRe: Monta Vista software license terms
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:42:45 -0600, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> >I certainly agree, but the problem is the NDA puts the shoe on the
> >other foot and now it's the customer that has to consult a lawyer or
> >risk a nuisance suit before proceeding. So while it may not forbid, >it
> >certainly discourages and impedes. Let me point out that I never saw
> >the NDA in question but said coworker was sufficiently intimidated >by
> >it that he was unwilling to give me a copy of the kernel and gcc
> >sources because of it.

> I believe such a provision would, unfortunately, by considered
> legally enforceable. The rationale would be that the rights you (the
> recipient of the derived work) have under the GPL would only apply if
> the distributor were bound by the GPL. The only way the distributor
> could be bound by the GPL was if he or she did something that he
> didn't have the right to do without the GPL to give him or her such a
> right.

The GPL gives me the right to distribute modified versions _only if I
comply with the GPL_. And GPL forbids further restrictions when
distributing.

If your bizarre interpretation was right, no software licence at all would
have any validity. In particular, I'd be more than very surprised if the
GPL was so sloppily written. It was written with the input of eminent
lawyers, after all.

IANAL, etc.