SubjectRe: 2.4.21-pre4-ac3 hangs at reboot
You're not the only one hitting this.  My symptoms seam identicle to
yours.

What do you notice about the order of messages in relationship to how
they were ordered pre 2.4.21-pre4-ac2? Before I would see all the
shutdown messages then "flushing ide" then the reboot or power down
message. Now the reboot or power down message shows up before or
durring the md raid device shutdown. Then I get the flushing ide
mesasage and it dies part way through.

walt wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Actually this problem started with ac2. All seems to work well until I
> reboot the machine with 'shutdown' or 'reboot' or 'ctl-alt-del'.
>
> The machine shuts down properly to the point where all filesystems
> are remounted readonly, which is the point where I normally see an
> immediate reboot. Starting with pre4-ac2 I just get an indefinite
> hang instead of the reboot.
>
> The terminal driver still seems to work because I can use the
> ctl-alt-Fx keys to switch to other pseudo-terminals but the login
> process is already gone so I can't actually do anything at the
> login prompts. It takes a hard reset to complete the reboot,
> after which the machine comes up normally with clean filesystems.
>
> I see this on three different machines with different motherboards
> and CPU's [K6-2, athlon, athlon-xp], two VIA chipsets and one SiS.
>
> No error messages print anywhere, so I'm not sure how to debug.
> Do you need a kernel config file or dmesg output?
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.111 / U:0.828 seconds]