    SubjectRe: Monta Vista software license terms
    On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 01:24:38PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 07:18, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > > > 1. Can MontaVista add separate terms to their purchase agreement that
    > > > forbid/discourage/impede publishing the source?
    > >
    > > Can they or do they? I know that people I've worked with have signed
    > > broad NDAs on code they've gotten from MontaVista, though such
    > > agreements almost certainly qualify as 'additional restrictions'
    > > against the GPL.
    > The GPL doesn't permit such restrictions (its an additional restriction)
    > but as I understand it the MontaVista packages include a lot more than
    > just free software, so the GPL rights probably only apply to the GPL
    > packages in their setup

    I certainly agree, but the problem is the NDA puts the shoe on the
    other foot and now it's the customer that has to consult a lawyer or
    risk a nuisance suit before proceeding. So while it may not forbid, it
    certainly discourages and impedes. Let me point out that I never saw
    the NDA in question but said coworker was sufficiently intimidated by
    it that he was unwilling to give me a copy of the kernel and gcc
    sources because of it.

    Not that it ended up mattering - I managed to get stock Debian running
    on the board with all the board support I needed in a matter of a
    couple of days.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.020 / U:9.084 seconds]