    SubjectRe: udev sysfs docs Re: State of devfs in 2.6?
    > > > Am I wrong ?

    > > No, you are correct. That's why I'm not really worried about this, and
    > > I don't think anyone else should be either.

    You are of course totally wrong - just because a device is present in the
    system doesn't mean that it's kernel modules are loaded - for example my
    floppy is always present in the system, but I access it like once a month
    or so - currently devfs (which I'm using on 3 computers with no problems
    for over a year now) will load the floppy module on access to /dev/fd0 and
    the module will unload automatically a few dozen minutes later after I'm
    done with the disk drive. On an 8 MB mem system keeping 60KB floppy
    driver non-stop in unswappable kernel memory is wastefull. Especially
    since this also applies to microcode, sound drivers, scanners, rtc, etc...
    The system is properly configured - the modules for devices are loaded
    when needed - just because a device is present doesn't mean we need to
    have the driver loaded for it.

    > A: Such a functionality isn't needed on a properly configured
    > system. All devices present on the system should generate
    > hotplug events, loading the appropriate driver, and udev
    > should notice and create the appropriate device node.
    > In case of failure, please make a proper bug report.

    Cheers,
    MaZe.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.033 / U:0.444 seconds]