    Date (Måns Rullgård) writes:
    > Let me give an example. Hotplug will automatically load the ALSA
    > drivers for my sound card, and /dev/snd/* are created (by devfs or
    > udev, it doesn't matter for now). Suppose that, some time, I run a
    > program that tries to use OSS for sound. Now, the ALSA OSS emulation
    > is not loaded by hotplug, and I don't want it to. It's nice to have
    > snd-pcm-oss automatically loaded when some legacy application tries to
    > use /dev/dsp.

    For this sort of case it seems like it would be much cleaner to have
    some sort of proxy device that would load the module upon open -- so the
    also drivers would end up creating both alsa entries in /dev, and also
    proxy entries for the supported oss devices.

    That way, you could have the explicit device entry (which I think is all
    around saner), but not the overhead of rarely used modules.

    In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
    have to take the subway to their house. And sometimes on the way, the train
    is delayed and you get impatient, so you have to kill someone on the subway.
    [George Carlin]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.032 / U:3.336 seconds]