    SubjectRe: dialectical deprecation Re: cdrecord hangs my computer
    Date
    In article <3FD4CF90.3000905@nishanet.com>, Bob  <recbo@nishanet.com> wrote:

    | Today I realize that it's not double deprecation, it's dialectical
    | deprecation, for a user who gets caught between the deprecation
    | of ide-scsi and cdrecord targbuslun "flat" naming and then the
    | cdrecord error message when trying to use a full devpath. The
    | user's head is volleyed back and forth as cdrecord maintains
    | its "denial".
    |
    | cdrecord whines about the full devpath in the first instance,
    | will not work if I use 1,0,0 in both places, but seems to
    | catch a clue about the devpath stub from the first instance
    | in order to use its 1,0,0 nomenclature below that.
    |
    | #/etc/default/cdrecord
    | CDR_DEVICE=ATAPI:/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
    | #ATAPI:1,0,0 won't work in CDR_DEVICE, but...
    | yamaha= ATAPI:1,0,0 -1 -1 ""
    |
    | I'm scared(under-informed) to drop ide-scsi since
    | I'm using 3ware and don't know if just scsi-generic
    | would be enough for that hd controller(needs ide-scsi?
    | 3ware's site doc is not easy to find).

    First, I would think you want the device with ATAPI, not the generic. I
    don't use that nomenclature so I may be misreading it. I have used plain
    /dev/hdc and had it work.

    Second, did you use -scanbus to see which three numbers cdrecord wants
    with ide-scsi and try those? You don't want ATAPI in front of it, just
    dev=1,0,0 or similar.
    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc