Subjectmerged in bk5 Re: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog - found?
if you're following this thread, good news--

nforce2 fixups have been merged in
linux-2.6.0-test11-bk5.patch
> -bk snapshot (patch-2.6.0-test11-bk5)

nforce2-disconnect-quirk.patch
> [x86] fix lockups with APIC support on nForce2
>
>nforce2-apic.patch
> [x86] do not wrongly override mp_ExtINT IRQ

plus promise and sis fixes so I don't need to pay
for a 3ware controller ;-) that was another
show-stopper for me earlier

> [...]
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/2.6.0-test11-bart1/broken-out/nforce2-disconnect-quirk.patch
>

> Both patches are for 2.6.0-test11 kernel.
>
> turn on ioapic edge timer--
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/2.6.0-test11-bart1/broken-out/nforce2-apic.patch
>

> Other changes offer clues and expose symptoms but
> are not helpful or necessary after da fix is in. udma
> settings are a kludge of a error symptom, just aspirin.
>
> Other kludges are acpi off, local apic off in kernel,
> apic off in cmos/bios. These go away when the real
> problem is fixed.
>
> -Bob
>
> Craig Bradney wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 04:21, Ross Dickson wrote:
>>

>>> On Monday 08 of December 2003 04:08, Bob wrote: > >>Sounds great..
>>> maybe you have come across something. Yes, the CPU > >>Disconnect
>>> function arrived in your BIOS in revision of 2003/03/27 >
>>> Chipset > >>does not support C2 disconnect; thus, disable C2
>>> function." > >> > >>For me though.. Im on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2
>>> BIOS 1007. From what I can > >>see the CPU Disconnect isnt even in
>>> the Uber BIOS 1007 for this ASUS > >>that has been discussed. > >> >
>>> spread spectrum items or anywhere >> else.

>>> Please take a look at
>>> Fixes for nforce2 hard lockup, apic, io-apic, udma133 covered
>>>
>>> in mailing list.
>>>
>>> I approached it from another angle regarding delaying the apic ack
>>> in local timer irq
>>> and achieved stability. It would be good to have others try it. Ian
>>> Kumlien is also
>>> reporting success so far.
>>>

>> Although I had long uptimes before.. and therefore might achieve them
>> again fairly easily.. I'm now on 2 days 10 hours which has included a
>> lot of compilation and a lot of idle time, and plenty of the hdpar and
>> grep tests. I have used only the IRQ0 IO-APIC edge patch.
>>
>> Can someone please note all the patches for 2.6 that people have tried
>> and what they achieve? Im starting to get a bit lost, given the fact
>> that I'm running stable here with only 1 patch. (so far - this is where
>> it crashes after I click Send I suppose ;) )
>>
>> -apic
>>

> -local apic("lapic")
>
> -acpi
>
> kernel local apic issue and acpi and apic go together,
> but turning off lapic first might achieve stability for
> some, updating bios will enable using all bios and
> linux apic, acpi, lapic, ioapic for some(me twice).
>
>> -io-apic (IRQO set to XT-PIC incorrectly)
>>
>> -udma133?
>>

> udma133 may be a clue but I don't think anyone
> achieves stability one way or the other on that. I
> flogged every possible hdparm change and tried
> three brands of hd controller without every
> achieving stability, but once you're stable by
> using other means you can use 133 and unmask
> irq(not for siig sis?) and other hdparm opts.
>
>> -cpu disconnect patch (missing bios option for ACPI Cx states)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.058 / U:0.028 seconds]