SubjectRe: cdrecord hangs my computer
> In contrast, the old cdrecord interfaces are an UNBELIEVABLE PILE OF CRAP!
> It's an interface that is based on some random hardware layout mechanism
> that isn't even TRUE any more, and hasn't been true for a long time. It's
> not helpful to the user, and it doesn't match how devices are accessed by
> everything else on the system.
>
> It's bad from a technical standpoint (anybody who names a generic device
> with a flat namespace is just basically clueless), and it's bad from a
> usability standpoint. It has _zero_ redeeming qualities.

I think the appropriate phrase is "user malevolent" software. Making
the user interface fit some arcane technica rather than the user is
rather tragic. Reality is quite complicated enough as it is, without
deliberately setting out to make it more so.

M.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.252 / U:0.256 seconds]