    Date writes:

    >> So gals and guys, try disabling cpu disconnect in bios and see whether
    >> aopic now runs stable.

    > Yes that fix it. Well time will tell but I cannot make it crash with
    > hdparm -tT or cat /dev/hda so far. I'm dumping hda to /dev/null right
    > now.
    > After testing to make it crash, I used athcool to reenable CPU
    > disconnect, and guess what, test after that just crashed the box.
    > You found the problem, congratulations.

    Well, now I'm stunned.

    With APIC and ACPI enabled, my machine isn't even able to boot
    completely, it'll most certainly crash before the init scripts are

    Now, I modified the init scripts to do "athcool off" as the first
    thing at all (I don't have any "CPU disconnect" BIOS setting) and it
    not only booted, but I even can't seem to make it crash using my
    hdparm/grep/whatever tests...

    I don't know if it's "rock solid" yet, but at least the difference is
    huge. It really seems like that made the problem go away!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.021 / U:99.368 seconds]