    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 future
    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Jan Rychter wrote:

    > Marcelo> The intention of this email is to clarify my position on 2.4.x
    > Marcelo> future.
    >
    > Marcelo> 2.6 is becoming more stable each day, and we will hopefully
    > Marcelo> see a 2.6.0 release during this month or January.

    I would argue that 2.2 wasn't really usable until somewhere around 2.2.12.

    I would also claim that 2.4 wasn't useful until 2.4.10.

    If we continue to improve along these lines, can I expect 2.6 to be
    generally usable somewhere around 2.6.8? :)

    > On my notebook, I have spent the last two years going through regular
    > painful kernel patching and upgrades.

    <snip>

    His experiences pretty much mirror my own -- ACPI has been an adventure,
    cpufreq occasionally didn't work, full USB doesn't work without ACPI, I
    need alsa drivers and ACPI in order to have acceptable sound, and I need
    to use GATOS drivers for my display, else 3d just blows chunks.

    For the longest time on this beast, kernel upgrades were a day long
    adventure.

    First, to push in acpi, cpufreq, and freeswan. (Oh, look, 2.4.foo is
    out ... but the latest ACPI patch was 2.4.foo-prebar and CPUfreq is
    2.4.foo-pre(bar-2)-3weeks-earlier ... time to patch and resolve
    rejections!)

    Then it was off to put in alsa, radoen, freeswan, linux-wlan-ng and so
    forth ...

    Some things should be migrated in and updated. drm modules, for example. I
    would also vote for alsa being merged. ACPI was brought up to date in
    2.4.22, I believe, but I haven't checked since then. It should also be
    relativelt current, IMHO.

    > 1) Please don't stop working (and that does include pulling in new
    > stuff) on 2.4, as many people still have to use it.
    >
    > 2) Please don't start developing 2.7 too soon. Go for at least 6
    > months of bug-fixing. During that time, patches with new features
    > will accumulate anyway, so it isn't lost time. But it will at least
    > prevent people from saying "well, I use 2.7.45 and it works for
    > me".

    I have to agree with both of these points. 2.6.0 will probably have
    problems that will take a while to sort out. Putting it on systems to test
    is one thing, putting it into production as its the only blessed solution
    is another ...

    --
    -- John E. Jasen (jjasen@realityfailure.org)
    -- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.