    SubjectRe: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog - found?
    On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 01:21, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
    > Craig Bradney wrote:
    > > On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 00:49, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>*maybe* I found the bugger, at least I got APIC more stable (need to
    > >>test whether oit is really stable, compiling kernel right now...):
    > >>
    > >>It is a problem with CPU disconnect function. I tried various parameters
    > >>in bios and turned cpu disconnect off, and tada, I could do several
    > >>subsequent hdparms and machine is running! As CPU disconnect is a ACPI
    > >>state, if I am not mistkaen, I think there is something broken in ACPI
    > >>right now or in APIC and cpu disconnect triggers the bug.
    > >>
    > >>Maybe now my windows environment is stable, as well. It was much more
    > >>stable with cpu disconnect and apic, nevertheless seldomly locked up.
    > >>

    > >>So gals and guys, try disabling cpu disconnect in bios and see whether
    > >>aopic now runs stable.
    > >

    > >>I have an Abit NF7-S Rev2.0 with Bios 2.0.
    > >

    > >>Prakash
    > >

    > > I rebooted and checked in my BIOS, I dont seem to have "CPU Disconnect"?
    > > Is there another name. I also downloaded the motherboard manual for your
    > > NF7-S and cant find it there either?
    >
    > th efull name should be "CPU Disconnect Function". it is an the page
    > with "enhanced pci performance", "enable system bios caching" ".. video
    > bios caching" and all the spread spectrums. I have forgotten the name of
    > that page in the main menu. Should the 3 or 4 in the first column.
    >
    > Perhaps your BIOS is too old. I remember it only came with 1.8 (or
    > alike) and later. But usually this setting should be disabled at default.
    >
    > My machine still hasn't locked, btw. :-)

    Sounds great.. maybe you have come across something. Yes, the CPU
    Disconnect function arrived in your BIOS in revision of 2003/03/27
    "6.Adds"CPU Disconnect Function" to adjust C1 disconnects. The Chipset
    does not support C2 disconnect; thus, disable C2 function."

    For me though.. Im on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2 BIOS 1007. From what I can
    see the CPU Disconnect isnt even in the Uber BIOS 1007 for this ASUS
    that has been discussed.

    Craig

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:0.260 seconds]