    SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
    Date
    Linus wrote:
    > There's a clarification that user-space programs that use the standard
    > system call interfaces aren't considered derived works

    If it said "user-space" or "non-kernel address space" in the Linux license
    then I would agree.

    But the exact wording is much more vague:

    "user programs that use kernel services by normal system calls"

    Any binary loadable kernel module can be considered a "user program"
    Any interface defined in the kernel header files can be considered a "normal
    system call"

    This is why I think further clarification is warranted in future versions of
    copying.txt - because we are needlessly giving away the source-code freedom
    that GPL is intended to protect.

    The proponents of binary-only kernel modules currently use the above as a
    defense to argue their case for GPL non-compliance.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.025 / U:0.128 seconds]