    SubjectRe: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
    Josh McKinney <forming@charter.net> writes:

    Hello Josh,

    > Just to add more inconsistency into the mix, I am running with preempt
    > enabled, generic ide disabled, and can't make it crash. Ran netperf for
    > an hour over a crossover cable on 100mbit, a couple make -j 30 kernel
    > compiles, dbench, and playing some mp3's all at the same time and
    > nothing happens despite load average reaching over 100. Maybe I am just
    > lucky.

    Or maybe not.

    In the very beginning, 1 or 2 months ago right after I bought the
    board, it did crash but it actually didn't crash very often. In fact,
    most of the time (not every time, but most!) it crashed while the
    system being rather idle. To add even more perplexity to it: I could
    work on the system for hours and then leave the computer half an hour
    alone for talking a walk or jogging or whatever and, after coming
    back, run across a complete lockup. Normally, the clock applet on my
    desktop told me that the box crashed several minutes after I went out,
    since the clock of course froze with the mainboard as well.

    A lot changed by now, hardware and software, and now I'm hardly able
    to run the system with ACPI/APIC enabled at all. If the boot procedure
    goes fine, it locks up shortly after. If fsck decides to check the
    disks, the mainboard is doomed to lock up away immediately.

    That really is a nasty problem.

    Regards,
    Julien

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.024 / U:62.252 seconds]