    SubjectRe: Worst recursion in the kernel
    On Wed, 3 December 2003 15:08:04 -0800, David Hinds wrote:
    > The issue is that validate_mem() doesn't need to use read_cis_mem's
    > functionality directly (so it can't just be modified to use the __*
    > form). It calls other stuff, which calls other stuff, which
    > eventually calls read_cis_mem(), and all that other stuff is used by
    > other callers. So there isn't an obvious place to insert this
    > bifurcation.

    This explanation sounds a bit like "that mess is too fragile, there is
    no way to touch it without everything falling apart." Just one more
    reason to change it and make it more maintainable. I agree, it is a
    big piece of work waiting for 2.7 to open up, but your only excuse not
    to do it eventually is lack of time. ;)

    > inv_probe() is pretty comprehensible, it calls itself directly, in
    > order to traverse a short linked list from tail to head.

    Sounds like a valid candidate for <list.h>, but if you can prove the
    list to always be short, it is ok.

    Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
    universal interface.
    -- Doug MacIlroy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.021 / U:2.340 seconds]