    SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
    Date

    > My personal view is that Linux should mandate GPL for all modules in 2.6
    and beyond.

    "David Schwartz" wrote:
    > I'm baffled how you think this is a choice that can be made. The license
    is
    > the GPL itself and even the Linux kernel developers have no power to
    change it.

    Modules are essentially dynamically linked extensions to the GPL kernel. In
    some cases they can be shown to be independent, prior works where GPL can
    reasonably be argued not to apply - which as Linus stated earlier on this
    thread was the original intention of allowing binary-only modules.

    But in most of the more recent cases the driver/module code is written
    specifically for Linux, so it seems more appropriate that they would be
    considered as derived works of the kernel. But those various comments from
    Linus are being taken out of context to somehow justify permission for the
    non-release of source code for binary loadable modules.

    Linux is not pure GPL, it also has the Linus "user program" preamble in
    copying.txt - that preamble plus other LKML posts from Linus are commonly
    used as justifications for non-disclosure of source code to some classes of
    modules.

    But with all due respect, Linus is not the only author of Linux and his
    words to tend to convey an artificial sense of authority or justification
    for such attitudes. Here is a typical example:

    All I am suggesting is that the preamble could be extended to clearly state
    the position for kernel binary-only modules, and that the upcoming 2.6
    release might be an opportunity for a quorum of the Linux authors to agree
    to revised wording.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:60.112 seconds]