    SubjectRe: lilo and system maps?
    Thus spake Maciej Zenczykowski (maze@cela.pl):

    > > {0}:/usr/share/doc/lire>strings /boot/vmlinuz-2.6 | grep -i 2.[46] | head
    > > 2.6.0-test11-bk2 (root@wally) #3 SMP Thu Dec 4 12:41:42 EST 2003
    > > M2#6gbQ+
    > > {2 6B
    >
    > Of course the correct solution is to have the kernel version in the file
    > name... and have linux-current or whatever as a symlink. Besides truth
    > be told the kernel version is far too little to identify a kernel anyway,
    > there's also compilation options - they can change a lot - and all the
    > patches which were/are applied to it. I keep System.map-`uname -r`,
    > vmlinuz-`uname -r`, .config-`uname -r`, descr-`uname -r` in my /boot dirs
    > - the first three come from the kernel and the last is a text file
    > containing notes about what patches were applied (I keep an up to date
    > descr file in each kernel source dir).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > MaZe.

    I'm maintaing machines that pre-exist me and many don't have
    vmlinuz-`uname -r` naming and can't quite reboot the machine on
    different kernels just to find out what it is.

    Did the symlink think but it got ugly after a while when I had 6 kernel,
    6 System.map files and a bunch of symlinks. Once I fully drop the 2.4
    on this set of machines I can move back but it was just ugly for a
    while.

    :wq!
    Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
    @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
    DISCLAIMER:
    These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

    Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
    Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
    Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.036 / U:62.204 seconds]