    SubjectRe: lilo and system maps?

    Thus spake Andre Tomt (

    > On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:53, Robert L. Harris wrote:
    > > I'm messing around on one of my dev machines which has 4 possible
    > > kernels installed. 2.4, 2.4-stable, 2.6, 2.6-stable (stable is the last
    > > known good kernel). I currently have my files laid out as:
    > >
    > > /boot/
    > > /boot/
    > > etc.
    > ^^^
    > > This way when I install a new kernel I can copy the to
    > > /boot/ instead of keeping up with all the version numbers?
    > > lilo doesn't seem to like the map= arguements. Does the kernel need the
    > > in a single place, can it figure out where it's at for a
    > > multiple config?
    > Just stick with the$(uname -r) variant and it will just work
    > automaticly. map= in lilo is not for's.

    Upon reading the man page on lilo.conf again I realized that was the
    wrong map, but was hoping there was some notation that'd allow for maps
    other than "/boot/" for the multiple kernels.

    Ok, I've tried rdev and file, is there a "cleaner" way of getting a
    kernel version other than:

    {0}:/usr/share/doc/lire>strings /boot/vmlinuz-2.6 | grep -i 2.[46] | head
    2.6.0-test11-bk2 (root@wally) #3 SMP Thu Dec 4 12:41:42 EST 2003
    {2 6B

    Yes it's functional, I can live with it, just wondering if theres a
    "better" way for when I'm updating servers at work and have no idea what
    kernels are in /boot on the machine (some have been up longer than the
    year+ I've been here).

    Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
    @ x-hkp://
    These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

    Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
    Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
    Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.033 / U:3.272 seconds]