SubjectRe: lilo and system maps?

Thus spake Andre Tomt (

> On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:53, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> > I'm messing around on one of my dev machines which has 4 possible
> > kernels installed. 2.4, 2.4-stable, 2.6, 2.6-stable (stable is the last
> > known good kernel). I currently have my files laid out as:
> >
> > /boot/
> > /boot/
> > etc.
> ^^^
> > This way when I install a new kernel I can copy the to
> > /boot/ instead of keeping up with all the version numbers?
> > lilo doesn't seem to like the map= arguements. Does the kernel need the
> > in a single place, can it figure out where it's at for a
> > multiple config?
> Just stick with the$(uname -r) variant and it will just work
> automaticly. map= in lilo is not for's.

Upon reading the man page on lilo.conf again I realized that was the
wrong map, but was hoping there was some notation that'd allow for maps
other than "/boot/" for the multiple kernels.

Ok, I've tried rdev and file, is there a "cleaner" way of getting a
kernel version other than:

{0}:/usr/share/doc/lire>strings /boot/vmlinuz-2.6 | grep -i 2.[46] | head
2.6.0-test11-bk2 (root@wally) #3 SMP Thu Dec 4 12:41:42 EST 2003
{2 6B
Yes it's functional, I can live with it, just wondering if theres a
"better" way for when I'm updating servers at work and have no idea what
kernels are in /boot on the machine (some have been up longer than the
year+ I've been here).

Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.