    SubjectRe: udev and devfs - The final word
    On Dec 31, 2003  22:55 +0000, wrote:
    > h) nfsd uses device number as a substitute for export ID if said
    > ID is not given explicitly. That, BTW, is a big problem for crackpipe
    > dreams about random device numbers - export ID _must_ be stable across
    > reboots.

    We had a problem with this and Lustre, when we NFS export it. Lustre is
    already a network filesystem so we don't have a device number. I had a
    discussion with Neil Brown about this and suggested that we allow NFS to
    get a _real_ stable export ID from the filesystem (e.g. superblock UUID
    or similar) instead of the device number hackery which only has a vague
    relationship to stable.

    We implemented it for Lustre with a filesystem option FS_NFSEXP_FSID
    that tells nfsd it can export such a filesystem in the absence of
    FS_REQUIRES_DEV and then put our export ID into sb->s_dev (although I'd
    prefer something slightly cleaner than that).

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.019 / U:15.760 seconds]