SubjectRe: best AMD motherboard for Linux
On Dec-30 2003, Tue, 12:32 -0600
Derek Foreman <manmower@signalmarketing.com> wrote:

> > > Ask here before if you are planning to change your video card.
> >
> > nVidia translates to "trouble" around here. Selected Radeon cards,
> > on the other hand, work perfectly with opensource drivers and should
> > perform comparably.
>
> I'm not sure how you're defining "comparably". If you mean they get
> similar numbers from glxgears, that's possible. But the feature sets are
> not at all comparable. Nvidia's linux driver actually exposes the
> features available on modern graphics hardware.
>
> If you're going to advise against the use of their products in a public
> forum, I suggest you be a lot more specific.

The person asking for advice was very articulate in what their primary
concerns in choosing hardware were, and my suggestion was made with those
in mind. Yes, I'm convinced that a binary only driver is not an adequate
solution in "supporting linux."

And by the way, you are not being specific in naming the "features
available on modern graphics hardware," either.

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>