SubjectRe: vanilla 2.6.0-test11 and CS4236 card
From Takashi Iwai on Wednesday, 03 December, 2003:
>Hi,
>At Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:17:51 -0600,
>Joseph Pingenot wrote:
>> THE BAD NEWS:
>> -------------
>> Both times (with your patch and with isapnp), I had the following problems:
>> a) xmms wouldn't talk straight to the card even after selecting the alsa
>> output plugin
>what was the error exactly?

Standard thing when it can't talk to the sound card:

"Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected
2. No other programs is(sic) blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly

[OK]"

FWIW, ALSA for the cs4281 chip on my home box works 100%, and xmms can talk
to it without problem. These are different distros (gentoo@home, debian@work)
so it may also be a problem in Debian, but I don't think so.

>> b) I started esd (the alsa version) and then told xmms to talk to esd.
>> It worked out well for a couple of seconds, but then it crashed
>> (both with your patch and with the manually activated (isapnp) one)
>>
>> It crashed HARD.
>oh, that's bad.

Ja. I'm gonna have to sort it out whenever I can get my homework done.
Either this afternoon or tomorrow. Just gotta copy some files over by
floppy (e.g. route) and then tar them over from another machine.

>> It crashed so hard that it wiped out some files, like apt, I presume
>> when it was cleaning "orphans" in /; the net result is that my
>> box is semi-hosed, since things like tr and apt-get and route
>> are now full of '\0' characters instead of their actual contents.
>>
>> Sound played for about a second, then the machine hung hard (I don't think
>> that the Magic SysRq keys even did anything), and the last couple of
>> tenths of a second of sound just repeated over and over and over until
>> I hit reset. I don't have an oops; it was highly hosed.
>>
>> When I can pull my system back together, I can try again. Please help
>> me find this new bug, so that the cs4236 driver is safe for other
>> Dell P410 users! :)
>i'm puzzled because cs4236's pcm code is basically identical with
>cs4231, and cs4232 seems working (at least the last time i tested).
>anyway, please show the kernel config and check any other apps do
>similar oops / crash.

Hmm. I dunno. The only odd thing atm is that the nvidia driver was loaded
and had reported a couple of bugs. When the machine's up next time,
I'll try it sans nvidia and see what we get. I don't suspect that's the
problem, as everything but sound worked 100%, but we'll see.

Other than my diagnostic print statements or your pnp patch, everything
at runtime was vanilla (except nvidia of course)

-Joseph

--
"Asked by CollabNet CTO Brian Behlendorf whether Microsoft will enforce its

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.063 / U:0.188 seconds]