    SubjectRe: partially encrypted filesystem

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > And that in turn causes problems. You get all kinds of interesting
    > > deadlock schenarios when write-out requires more memory in order to
    > > succeed. So you need to get careful. Reading ends up being the much easier
    > > case (doesn't have the same deadlock issues _and_ you could do it in-place
    > > anyway).
    > FWIW zisofs and ntfs have to do this too, since X on-disk compressed
    > pages must be expanded to X+Y in-memory pages...

    Note how zisofs only has to handle the read-only case. cramfs does the

    Reading is trivially done by having a few extra buffers (either through
    the buffer cache or explicit buffering).

    Writing is the more interesting case. I don't know how well NTFS does in
    low-memory circumstances.

    (Which is by no means to say that it is somehow impossible to get right:
    you just have to be careful).

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.025 / U:8.340 seconds]