    SubjectRe: EISA ID for PnP modem and resource allocation
    On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 04:51:53PM +0400, Amit Gurdasani wrote:
    > I have a PROLiNK 1456VH internal Rockwell-based ISA PnP K56flex fax modem
    > whose EISA ID seems not to be known to 8250_pnp.c. The ID is AEI0250 as
    > reported in /sys/devices/pnp1/01:01/01:01.00/id and adding this into the
    > pnp_dev_table[] allows the device to be found and enabled properly by the
    > 8250 serial driver.
    > A query: I'm using the serial IRQ autodetection and sharing support. In
    > 2.4.23, the serial driver was able to get the first serial port (ttyS0) and
    > this modem (ttyS2) to share IRQ 4. Now this is not happening, and each port
    > (and modem) is claiming a unique IRQ. Am I doing anything wrong?

    Without special hardware modifications, it is usually unsafe to share irqs
    between isa devices.

    > The reason I ask is that I also have a jumpered SB16 on IRQ 5, and loading
    > the 8250 driver before the snd_sb16 driver results in the SB16's IRQ being
    > allocated for the modem, which prevents the SB16 driver from loading.
    > and the 8250 driver is only able to set up the onboard serial ports ttyS0
    > and ttyS1.

    You may want to try changing the jumper on your SB16 to allow for PnP

    > In the meantime, I'm using the isapnptools to set up the modem with IRQ 4
    > before loading either driver. The result is that the SB16 driver gets IRQ 5
    > as needed, and ttyS0 is set up with IRQ 0 (is this OK?), but I'd really like
    > to use the kernel ISA PnP support.

    Could I please see a copy of your /proc/interrupts.

    > (Kernel 2.4.23's kernel ISA PnP support and serial driver would
    > automatically assign IRQ 4 to both ttyS0 and the modem [ttyS2].)

    The 2.4 series was not always aware of motherboard devices such as serial ports.
    Were you able to use ttyS0 and your modem at the same time?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.038 / U:0.332 seconds]