    SubjectRe: EISA ID for PnP modem and resource allocation
    On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 04:51:53PM +0400, Amit Gurdasani wrote:
    > I have a PROLiNK 1456VH internal Rockwell-based ISA PnP K56flex fax modem
    > whose EISA ID seems not to be known to 8250_pnp.c. The ID is AEI0250 as
    > reported in /sys/devices/pnp1/01:01/01:01.00/id and adding this into the
    > pnp_dev_table[] allows the device to be found and enabled properly by the
    > 8250 serial driver.
    >
    > A query: I'm using the serial IRQ autodetection and sharing support. In
    > 2.4.23, the serial driver was able to get the first serial port (ttyS0) and
    > this modem (ttyS2) to share IRQ 4. Now this is not happening, and each port
    > (and modem) is claiming a unique IRQ. Am I doing anything wrong?

    Without special hardware modifications, it is usually unsafe to share irqs
    between isa devices.

    > The reason I ask is that I also have a jumpered SB16 on IRQ 5, and loading
    > the 8250 driver before the snd_sb16 driver results in the SB16's IRQ being
    > allocated for the modem, which prevents the SB16 driver from loading.
    > and the 8250 driver is only able to set up the onboard serial ports ttyS0
    > and ttyS1.

    You may want to try changing the jumper on your SB16 to allow for PnP
    autoconfiguration.

    > In the meantime, I'm using the isapnptools to set up the modem with IRQ 4
    > before loading either driver. The result is that the SB16 driver gets IRQ 5
    > as needed, and ttyS0 is set up with IRQ 0 (is this OK?), but I'd really like
    > to use the kernel ISA PnP support.

    Could I please see a copy of your /proc/interrupts.

    > (Kernel 2.4.23's kernel ISA PnP support and serial driver would
    > automatically assign IRQ 4 to both ttyS0 and the modem [ttyS2].)

    The 2.4 series was not always aware of motherboard devices such as serial ports.
    Were you able to use ttyS0 and your modem at the same time?

    Thanks,
    Adam

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.021 / U:62.412 seconds]