    SubjectRe: 2.7 (future kernel) wish
    Rob Love wrote:
    > On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 22:03, Jim Crilly wrote:
    >

    >>Generally it just complains that you pulled out the device prematurely,
    >>I've never seen one give a STOP error from that but I guess a bad driver
    >>or USB controller could cause anything.
    >

    > It would be pretty easy to screw things up if you pull out a device in
    > the middle of use.
    >

    >>When you insert a device like a USB stick Windows puts a little icon
    >>next to the clock in the system tray that you're supposed to use to stop
    >>the device before pulling it, effectively it unmounts and stops (or
    >>atleast releases the device from) the driver so the device can be
    >>'safely' removed.
    >

    > This is useful, and something I think we need on the Linux desktop (stay
    > tuned).

    I agree, that's one of the reasons I posted at all. Little things like
    this can make a big difference, even though I've seen a lot of users not
    notice the little icon and have to be told about it.

    Maybe when the icon appears have a tool-tip that pops up and says
    something like "your USB device is ready for user at /mnt/usb, click
    here when you're done" or something like that to make it more noticable
    that they shouldn't just yank it.

    But I seem to be getting OT for this list...

    >>I also believe Windows mounts any removable device
    >>synchronously so that if you do pull it out prematurely the damage done
    >>is limited.
    >

    > Eww, I hope not, that would be excruciatingly slow. It might adjust the
    > buffer writeback to be really short (even nearly immediate) but
    > synchronous I/O is a different story, and much slower.
    >
    > Rob Love

    Perhaps synchronous was the wrong term =) But it does atleast seem to do
    less buffering for removable devices or I could just be fooled by
    something else slowing it down.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.026 / U:0.608 seconds]