    Subjectallow process or user to listen on priviledged ports?
    Date
    Hi,

    don't blame me for asking such a question in the LKML, but i already
    asked it in other linux-newsgroups. i haven't got any real answer yet.

    my problem is, that i want an application to listen on a priviledged
    port (e.g. port 80) and to run as a "normal" unpriviledged user (e.g.
    wwwrun). Well - how? The application is not a C/C++-application, so i
    cannot ask the author (myself) to implement a mechanism to switch the
    userid (e.g. like apache does it).

    So is there any machanism to bind that permission (to listen on a
    priviledged tcp-port) to a specific user or a specific process?

    The application is written in Java. Of course Java could implement
    userid-switching, but the linux could also have an ACL for that. So
    please don't answer with "go and ask Sun for that feature". I already
    considered that.

    Thx
    Sven

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.019 / U:1.040 seconds]