SubjectRe: [RFC,PATCH] use rcu for fasync_lock
Jamie Lokier wrote:

>Manfred Spraul wrote:
>

>>What about switching to rcu?
>>

>What about killing fasync_helper altogether and using the method that
>epoll uses to register "listeners" which send a signal when the poll
>state of a device changes?

I think it would be a step in the wrong direction: poll should go away
from a simple wake-up to an interface that transfers the band info
(POLL_IN, POLL_OUT, etc). Right now at least two passes over the f_poll
functions are necessary, because the info which event actually triggered
is lost. kill_fasync transfers the band info, thus I don't want to
remove it.

>That would trim off code all over the place, make the fast paths a
>little bit faster (in the case that there aren't any listeners), and
>most importantly make SIGIO reliable for every kind of file descriptor,
>instead of the pot luck you get now.
>
>Just an idea :)

It's a good idea, but requires lots of changes - perhaps it will be
necessary to change the pollwait and f_poll prototypes.

--
Manfred