SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 future

We seem to be getting a little of track here.

Sorry, this is probably not the right place for this discussion but I feel
strongly enough about it to pursue it anyway.

Being one of the people that have to face the dificulties that Peter has,
I think that a solution satisfactory to all needs to be worked out.

There seems to be two seperate problems here:

1) Whether to merge a huge unknown quality patch into the 2.4 stable
kernel.

The majority of people seem to feel it is not efficient use of Marcelos'
time and recommend a merge into 2.6.

That's fine with me if that's Marcelos' decision.

2) The supportability of using autofs v4 in RedHats' commercial product.

This issue can't be fixed by simply adding this patch to the kernel.

There is a userspace daemon which is also not included in the RedHat
product. RedHat have no reason to trust my code for their commercial
customers and their commercial customers need the sort of changes I am
trying to make.

So the real question is "what can I do to enable this to be used, without
customer penalty, in RedHats' commercial product".

I have a kernel module kit that allows the module to be used without
wiping out the original (and back out the change if needed). I think I can
turn this into an RPM if that would help.

I'm about to make 4.1.0 a release. It's not perfect but it is certainly an
improvement on previous autofs v4 versions. A src RPM will be produced as
well.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

--

,-._|\ Ian Kent
/ \ Perth, Western Australia