SubjectRe: System clock and speedstepping
Date
On Monday 01 December 2003 23:40, john stultz wrote:

> The "sane timesource" is the PIT (programmable interval timer). The TSC
> is the Time-Stamp-Counter which is basically a cycle counter on the cpu.
> If you want to boot using the PIT instead of the TSC, you can override
> the default time source by using "clock=pit" as a boot option. However
> hopefully the problem can be fixed by adjusting the cpufreq code. As I
> don't have any such hardware, would you be interested in testing
> possible patches?
>
> thanks
> -john

Im willing to solve it another way: There is a patch around (included in the
mm paches) for the kernel wich introduces a ACPI timer (timesource). As im
successfully using ACPI here ill switch over to it. A collegue of mine (who
had equal problems) reportet that this driver solves the problem completly.

About your patches: I would surely test your patches... i think its necessray
to have a good bug less standard implementation of the timesource.

BTW: The time screw was huge. Especially if i ran programms wich needed all
the recources avalible (while(1){}).

cheers,
Raffaele
--